Thursday, November 17, 2011

Moving On

Our choices are guided by various factors and variables. Some push us in one direction while others push us in another.

I can honestly say that a lot of various factors and variables have been prodding me, poking me, nudging me the last few months. This has resulted in some slow, meticulous actions on my part. I wanted to make the right choice, wait until the right time to act, be confident and sure of myself. I wanted to do what was best for me professionally, what was best for me personally.

So, I took my time. Fancied a lot of options. Engaged in a lot of discussions. Fielded a lot of phone calls.

And then I finally said “yes”.

So, I’m moving.

Yes, again!

The seventh time in 39 months.

I’ve accepted a position with the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner on the Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery Service. So, I’m moving to Texas, to Dallas. I’m leaving Raleigh.

I move in five weeks.

I’ll once again be at the bottom of the totem pole.

I’m only going to be working days.

I’ll get to sleep at night.

I’ll only be three hours away from family.

I’m excited about a new area, about working in a very different arena. But, I will miss critical care. I have so deeply appreciated the lessons it has given me, the opportunities I have had, the things I have seen, the things I have done, the privilege it has been.

I will miss many of my coworkers, my attendings. Especially my boss; he has invested so much in me and I will forever be grateful for him and for the confidence, the encouragement, and the opportunities he has given me.

I am a blessed person. Life just keeps giving to me.

1 comment:

holly wynne said...

Wow! Fantastic. Proud of you as always.