Tuesday, July 26, 2022

What I Always Wanted to Be.

When I was a senior in high school we had a career day where we had to go out into the community and shadow a professional.

It was such a struggle for me to find someone. I did not have a clue what I wanted to do with my life, where I wanted to go to school, what I should study. I took numerous aptitude tests and none of them helped guide me into a complimentary field.

I went on to college and earned an undergraduate degree that I have never used. Upon graduation I went to graduate school and earned a master’s degree in something I only used for a short time. Then, years later, I returned to graduate school and earned a second master’s degree in a completely different field.

So, I spent ten years in college, have three different degrees in three different areas, and have student loans that I will never pay off.

It took me a long time to figure out what I was supposed to do.

But deep down I have always known what I always wanted to be.

From the earliest days of my life, I have always always known that I wanted to be a mom.

As a child I had so many dolls. They all had names and stories. I cared for them and carried them and changed them and loved them. They were mine.

As I grew older I always helped with children at church. I cared for them and carried them and changed them and loved them. They were not mine.

For years, I babysat and nannied so much. I cared for them and carried them and changed them and loved them. They were not mine.

Then the babies came. With time I found myself with eleven beautiful nieces and one amazing nephew. I care for them and love them. As much as they are, they aren’t mine.  

All my life I have wanted to be a mom.

I have dreamed such vivid dreams, of holding my newborn baby in my arms and seeing his sweet little face.

I have had hopes and goals and fantasized and dreamed for and about.

I have named him and loved him and wanted him.

But he, but she, but they, are not mine.  

A few years ago I gave myself permission, and in doing so, I learned how silently unhealthy parts of me were and how too much time had passed. I may have given myself permission but it was too late.

Letting go of a dream is hard. Letting go of a life-long goal is hard. Letting go of an identity is hard.

Letting go is hard.

Two weeks from today, I will wake up on the day after.

The day after my total hysterectomy.

Part of me says, it doesn’t matter because I am too old anyway.

Part of me says, it doesn’t matter because I love sleep too much anyway.

Part of me says, it doesn’t matter because I have my dogs anyway.

Part of me says, it doesn’t matter because I am single and it would be too hard and impossible to figure it all out anyway.

Part of me says, it doesn’t matter because I am a good aunt and they’re partly mine anyway.

Part of me says, it does matter. And I am so sad. and disappointed.

I did not know that I could cause the greatest heartbreak of my life, but here I am.

A friend says that maybe I have other things to birth and give life to. And maybe I do. Maybe there are books to write and a house in the woods to build and more dogs to love.

But for these next few days, I will sit in the presence of now, grieve what wasn’t, count the blessings of what is and go to the one who provides rest.

11 comments:

Holly said...

You are so loved. More than you know. I’m sitting in your grief with you.

Anonymous said...

Tara, I am so sorry that this has played out this way for you. Praying the LORD carries you through this grief. Praying for your future and how the LORD will redeem this pain. Love you friend.

Suzan said...

Praying that the One who loves you more than anyone will hold you close, will heal your hurt. Just know that I love you and I grieve for and with you. ❤️🙏🏻

Anonymous said...

I love you so much! You are such a blessing to me. Prayers for you my friend!🙏❤️

Dad said...

My heart aches with you, and I love you.

Audrey said...

My heart hurts for you.

Grace kamau said...

I love you Tara. Inlove you. I grief with you. I hold you as a dear friend in my heart. Thanks for trusting me. I wish I can give you a hug. But I am praying for you. I know this is hard and I cannot imagine. All I can do is keep loving you. I sincerely do!!!

Serena said...

Oh Tara, I know too well how you feel. Even after years of trying, infertility treatments, and even surgery to supposedly fix the metabolic issues that were causing me not to conceive the hurt never became any less. Each month my period showed up it was just a cruel reminder and made me feel like I had failed at what “I knew” I was supposed to be doing with my life- raising a family. Every birthday I’m reminded that I’m that much older and pushing that much farther away from my dream. Even at 43, I know in my heart I will never fully give up the dream of a family, but I know it is not likely in the cards.
My heart breaks for you sweet friend. Know you are loved and you have brought the comfort and peace of a mother to countless people in your life and work. I pray for a safe surgery, your physical healing, and your heart as you navigate this transition.

Anonymous said...

You and I have so many things in common and I have tons of empathy for you. While this life may not afford us all we desire and hope for, we are so blessed to know that the Father will make all our dreams come true one day. I am older than you and I do think it has taken me a life time to get to this realization. You have helped me in knowing I am not alone in this fight of life for our very souls. Hold on tight and keep looking up! �� God bless/keep you………….

Debby B. said...

My heart aches for you. No one will truly understand what you're going through. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this Tara.

JoAnne said...

I am here to support and comfort you through the grief friend. Dreams that die are hard. Unbearable at times. The death of a dream brings about the birth of new dreams. Praying for peace, comfort and the birth of new dreams that fill that void and help you to heal. You are loved and cherished.