Monday, January 7, 2008

Back to School

Well, today I was back at school. The break flew by, but that was mostly because I worked so much. I would have liked one more week off, but if I'd had another week off I would have worked, so I suppose in all reality it doesn't matter.

I had three classes today. We actually got to change classrooms, so I don't have to sit in the same seat all day, although I can't really figure out why they made all 129 (minus those who have dropped out) of us move to the room next door, but it was nice to have a change of scenery. My first class today was part 2 of a class that started last semester. It meets on both Monday and Tuesday mornings. It's interesting, very fast pace and exhaustive, but I enjoy it. The second class was okay, not sure what it's all about yet. My third class is all about change and ironically I am very excited by this. I first learned about it at the end of last semester and, in truth, I have thought a lot about it over break. The class focuses on how to encourage our patients to make a change in their life. Of course the best way to learn is to do, so we have to make a change in our lives this semester and then discuss it an the end of the semester. Essentially they want you to focus on something that will make you healthier - physically, emotionally, spiritually, socially, etc. Like I said, I have thought a lot about this and I have already come up with ~4 ideas (I'm sure there are hundreds of things that I can do to improve my overall health/self). I still have some more thinking on this before I decide what I want to do for sure.

Wednesday I start clinicals at Vanderbilt's Children's Hospital. I have never worked with children in a clinical setting before. On one hand I'm really excited about it, on the other I'm not so much. I hope my ped this week is just in with a broken leg or something simple like that. It's kind of funny, students in the medical field always want their pts to be really sick because they learn so much from them. I love having people with horrible problems (as horrible as that sounds). But I don't feel that way this time. It should be a very interesting 4 weeks. I hate that this it going to end up being my shortest rotation.

No comments: