Monday, May 6, 2013

FCCS: Round Two

This past weekend I took FCCS again. I have to retake the class every 4 years to maintain my certification.

There were ACNP students sitting near me talking about classes and clinicals and tests. It was interesting to sit there next to them and hear what they had to say, to hear the exhaustion and stress in their voice.

Funny to be sitting near them at this class. The last time I took this class I was the ACNP student.

Hearing the same information 4 years later with more experience and understanding was good. I learned and appreciated it more. Sometimes I would really like to go back through my MSN program again. Knowing what I know now and hearing it all over again would probably be more beneficial than hearing It the first time I heard it. I would really like that; if I had the time and the money.

I have a phenomenal memory, always have. But you remember things that you know. When you don’t know something, even when you’re told, you don’t always remember or retain it.

In retrospect, I’m not sure that Vanderbilt’s MSN program was in my best interest. It’s a great program for some people. I suppose that school, in some ways, has always been a little hard for me. I’m a ponderer, not a slow thinker, but I need time to understand and retain. I think the speed, intensity and my lack of experience made my time at Vanderbilt even more stressful and I didn’t retain like I would have had the program been different.  I hadn’t understood these things. But hindsight is always 20/20.

FCCS was good. I enjoyed it. I think sometimes I’m too hard on myself.

No comments: