Thursday, October 4, 2007

this weeks lab....

Last week in lab we learned how to give an enema, so it was only fitting that we learned about catheter's this week. Fortunately we did this skill on our mannequin's. Urine is sterile and the whole procedure must be completed in a sterile fashion so as to prevent UTI's (urinary tract infections), so we had to preform this skill very carefully so as not to cross contaminate. It really wasn't as hard as I was expecting it to be, but then again the mannequin never reacted to me in any way - I suppose that is one of their downfalls.


We also learned all about restraints this week. When it is appropriate to use them, the different kinds there are, and how to apply them. This is something that I was already familiar with from working. We have often had to use the mittens for patients who wouldn't stop picking at things or eating certain things - but I won't go into that.

I also got to use my hammer this week to check for DTR's (deep tendon reflexes). There are five that you check for. My lab partner this week has had a lot of knee surgeries and her lower extremities are practically non-responsive. I did her first and got nothing. Then she did me and I was highly responsive. The whole thing was quite humorous.

Amazingly, today was our last official lab day. We will be tested on a complete head to toe assessment in two weeks. Little nervous about that, but I'm sure it will be fine.

No comments: