Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Puppy

So I want a puppy. I've always wanted a puppy. It has never been the right time. I lived in an apartment and my landlord wouldn't allow it. I was a dietetic intern and would be gone alot. I was in my parent's house and I didn't want it to be their responsibility. I was in school and really did not have the time or money.

But now? I really still want a puppy. Haydn even said I should get one. She wants me to name it Polly (but that probably won't happen).

So here are the reasons why I shouldn't get a puppy. I'll be gone a lot working 12 hour shifts and it is not right to expect a puppy to be by itself for that long. When I am home in between those 12 hour shifts I will be sleeping and I really should be playing with my puppy during that time. I don't know how to house train a dog and I don't want my new condo to smell like urine, I'll smell that enough at work. After awhile the dog my get on my nerves and maybe I will resent her for taking all of my time. Getting a dog is a 10+ year commitment and I don't know my future well enough to commit to that.

So that is why I'm not going to get a puppy, even though I really really want one.

6 comments:

Send513 said...

I do think you aren't home enough, but you could consider fostering rescues instead...

holly wynne said...

Ooh, good call, Karin. I agree. Once you've got the puppy (or kitty, as the case may be) bug, it's kind of hard to ignore it.

t sanders said...

I know you are both right. I've had the puppy bug going on 7 years now. Oh well.

Shirley said...

Get a kitty. They pretty much take care of themselves, won't mess up your carpet, will sleep while you're working, and will snuggle with you while you're sleeping. Getting past the kitten stage might be a pain, but a kitty can be a dear friend, who is always there when you come home. They live long lives, too. Our last cat was 16 when she died and our current cat just turned 7... we've had her since she was 7 weeks old.

Emily Jo said...

I'm a girl who loves puppies, & has 2 dogs of her own...however, I would encourage you to try to resist that puppy craving. I mean if you decide to get one you will figure out a way to make it work & they really are the best company. BUT it is a lot of work & when I had 2 puppies I had a lot of times of regret b/c it created a lot of unnecessary strain. When I got out on my own was when the craving really started. There is plenty of time to get a puppy. But if you do decide to get one read Cesar's Way first. He has a checklist at the back of it to help you determine if you're ready for a dog. AND he helps you choose a dog that has the same energy level as you so that it is a smoother transition & better experience all around.

t sanders said...

Thanks for the book suggestion Em. I may have to buy it, maybe it will help me. I really don't think I'm going to now though, I will continue waiting. What's another 7 years?