Monday, September 16, 2019

Turning 40: Notes to My Younger Self. #24 Finding Your Own Truth is not Always an Easy Journey

#24. Finding Your Own Truth Is Not Always an Easy Journey.

Growing up as an ISTJ on the MBTI, I have always appreciated facts. I love bullet points and snippets of information. I hold to them and am guided by them.

Life truths have been no different.

As a child when I learned a truth, I held to it. It was black and white and I had no conception of grey. It was or it was not.

With time, as I have grown older and learned that there is in fact much grey, many truths that I have held to have been challenged.

Growing up, I believed that drinking alcohol in any way was wrong, it was a sin. So, I committed to never drinking, to always abstaining. But with life and time, I have learned different. It is not a sin to drink alcohol, it is a sin to get drunk. Those are very different truths.

Growing up, I believed that it was wrong to raise hands in worship. I should not do that. But with life and time, I have learned different. It is not wrong to raise hands, in fact, it is affirmed in scripture. Those are very different truths.

Growing up, I believed that everything we believed was truth. I believed everything we did was truth. I assumed our truth was always God’s truth. But with life and time, I have learned different. My goal in defining truth is always and will always be, what does the Bible say, what does the Bible mean. What is God’s truth? Assuming that my preconceived idea of truth was always God’s truth can actually be very different from Gods truth.

My dear young self, challenging our preconceived truths and working to find our own truths that align with God has not always and will not always be an easy journey. The desire to hold to our tradition and the fear of being wrong is paralyzing. But the desire to know God, to truly know God, and to know his truth is a worthy journey.

The journey to finding His truths may lead us many different places and we may travel some different roads than we ever foresaw, but working to learn and know God, is working to know better so we can do better so we can be better.

No comments: