Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Turning 40: Notes to My Younger Self. #37 Steadfast Love

#37. Steadfast Love

To lament is to grieve, to be filled with sorrow.

So, to title a book “Lamentations”, one would not think it had a great deal of encouragement to provide.

Lamentations is a small book found in the old testament with five chapters, that are actually five poems. Each poem is grievous and filled with pain and suffering and questions and frustration.

This book of 5 poems focuses on a people who are in Babylonian bondage after consistently disobeying God and not honoring their covenant with Him.

But, right in the middle of this small book, a remarkable set of verses can be found. A lonely man, who is speaking on suffering and grief, on behalf of the Israelites actually finds hope in the suffering. He identifies the suffering as a form of Gods justice for not obeying. But he feels that if God can be be committed to justice for the committed evil, that he can be also be committed to his covenant promise of love.

And so, out of that observation, the lonely man makes this beautiful statement:

22 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
    his mercies never come to an end;
23 they are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
    “therefore I will hope in him.”
                      Lamentations 3:22-24

I have thought about and meditated on these words.

I have thought about how the words are found in the middle of this book. This book that is full of grief and pain and suffering, of laments. And yet, right in the middle, this ever present balm is found. I have often likened it to the eye of a hurricane, peace amid the storm.

So I think on these words and meditate on the words.

The words have become my anthem.

steadfast \STED-fast\ adjective. 1 a : firmly fixed in place : immovable. b : not subject to change. 

His steadfast love is firmly fixed in place, it never ceases, it cannot end. No matter what I do, His mercy and grace and steadfast love is there and is renewed every day.

He is so faithful to me, so steadfastly faithful.

Therefore, because of Him, I can have hope.

My dear young self, life may feel like a lament. There may be pain and confusion and suffering and shame and grief, but He is ever present and steadfast. His love for you will never cease, no matter what.

Know with all of you that the steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies never come to an end, they are new every morning, therefore, have hope in Him. 

No comments: