Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Turning 40: Notes to My Younger Self. #39


#39. . . . 

There were so many things I wanted to write about. Things about relationship and moving and people and pain and healing and death and dying and love and joy and grace and peace and home and friends and self care and honor and wisdom and strength.

So many topics I did not get to. So many things I did not say.

Yet, as I sit here, attempting to write the next to last post and fumbling through the title I had already decided on, I feel that I really have nothing in me to say tonight. The previously assigned topic is lost on a paper full of words that sound empty and trite.

I had an appointment earlier today and then I came home. I had intended to do a lot of things but ended up not doing much of anything. I talked with some friends, watched too much tv, watched my pups play, and made some dinner.

I recently worked quite a bit, so I needed a day of rest. But the day is drawing to a close and I feel tired. I do not feel rested. I think the exhaustion of working nights is catching up to me, it so often does.

My parents sent me flowers a week or so ago. They are beautiful. But they are also dying. Some have wilted and are downcast, others are still strong and tall. I suppose life is like this vase, full of health and death and beauty and wilt and strength and downcast.

Earlier I wrote about hope. Now that feels so foreign to me. Which, in truth, is why I have sat with the concept so much this year. Trying to make hope feel real, feel true, feel hopeful.

My dear young self, there are some days when you find that you do not have much left. You will fill empty and tired and done. Listen to yourself. Rest when you find that you are telling yourself to do so.

No comments: