Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Turning 40: Notes to My Younger Self. #25 Being a Woman

#25. Being a Woman

Growing up, I believed that I possessed less value because I was a woman.

I felt less desired by God, less capable, less able, less worthy.

Not being able to possess any type of leadership role in church, despite being a very gifted leader, for simply being female, made me feel oppressed, less than, insignificant.

Perceiving that my value could only be found in being a wife and a mother made me feel dependent on a man and on actions to be worthy. Not achieving those things has left me to feel like a failure.

A confusion has dwelt within me as to why I am not as equally valued for simply being that which I am.

While there are many beautiful and, honestly, sacred truths about being female, my tendency has, unfortunately, been to focus on those things that have made me feel oppressed and less valued.

I am not ashamed of being female. I am just ashamed of being less worthy.

This past year, I have spent some time studying patriarchy and egalitarianism and tradition. This personal study has helped me to view some things differently, to change my perception and have some paradigm shifts.

My dear young self, so much of the perceptions that have shaped your view of yourself in the lens of your gender have come from a patriarchal tradition. While there is some value to be found in patriarchy, I believe in egalitarianism.

In time, you will come to see some things differently and realize that the tradition of patriarchy  that you have primarily been surrounded in, has gifted you the confusion, the loss of value, the idea that you are less able or less worthy.

This was never intended by God.

You are worthy and strong and courageous and equal and valued. You are so valued.

These are new concepts that we are still evolving to appreciate. Be patient.

No comments: